Interview with Laure, engineer at Parrot

On the occasion of the International Women’s Day, we sat down with one of our own engineers to lift the veil on the people building the products you love. Be sure to follow us to see more interviews and behind the scenes in the upcoming months!

Laure

Hi Laure, could you introduce yourself?

I’m an engineer in the Parrot computer vision team. I have worked at Parrot for almost 5 years. I began as an intern in the signal processing team, and got a job at the end of the internship.

Tell us about your work at Parrot!

My job is to create and develop algorithms in order to provide new features for the drones.
For example, I worked on an algorithm to detect and recognize a specific pattern on the floor. With this, the drone can localize himself and follow a precise flight plan.

How do you feel about being a woman at Parrot?

Parrot is a company with a majority of men. Only 20% of the employees are women.

As I went to an engineering school where most of my classmates were boys, I am used to it. Unfortunately, in French engineering schools, there are more boys than girls… There are less and less girls as you go into very specific branches such as computer science or automatism.

Fortunately, a woman is respected at Parrot. I never encountered any issues while working with men even if at the beginning you have sometimes to prove what you are capable of.

So what would you say to a girl whose dream is to become an engineer?

If a girl has an interest for sciences I will just say to her : “you can become an engineer, you can do it as well as a boy!“. It’s a question of will. If you trust in yourself, then you’ll be capable of doing it.

I think that lot of girls or young woman lack of self-confidence and do not dare to begin enginneering school. I think it’s a shame that girls are not encouraged enough to pursue their higher education in the scientific field. Girls tend to be better in middle and high school.

Thank you very much for your time Laure.

1. Mr.Copter says:

When will the skycontroller be available seperately?

• Mariusz Monte-Christo says:

I second that!

• Rocksteady82 says:

Come on Parrot, throw us a bone… you’ve got people begging to spend money on your stuff and you just leave them hanging for days/weeks/months. What’s the deal?? When’s the skycontroller going to be available for purchase in the US as a single time? Apple finally came through with the Watch info, it’s your turn for the controller. When can I waste my money on your gadgets!? You’re killing us over here! Thanks

• Rocksteady82 says:

Case and point.

• This is something really interesting that is worth paying your attention right now,a superb online opportunity to work for those people who want to use their free time so that they can make some extra money using their computers… I have been working on this for last two and half years and I am earning 60-90 dollar/ hour … In the past week I have earned 13,70 dollars for almost 20 hours sitting ….

Specific qualification, degree or skills is not necessary for this, just keyboard typing and a good working and reliable internet connection ….

Any Time limitations or boundations to start work is not required … You may do this work at any time when you willing to do it ….

How I have been doing this?…..….see this (site-Iink) on my !profile!` to know how I am working` on this`

977

• reba.conway says:

I usually make something like 6-8 thousand bucks monthly working on the internet. Anyone ready to do easy computer-based task for 2h-5h a day from your home and get valuable checks while doing it… This is ideal for you… http://fave.co/1Pj8UFH

fdfggfhhg

• elyse.zuniga says:

I gain something like 6 thousand-8 thousand dollars on monthly basis doing an internet task. Everyone ready to finish basic at home task for some hrs every day from your living room and gain solid salary for doing it… Test this invitation http://secure84.com